STATEMENT OF FAITH
Nassau Street Church accepts the doctrinal statement of Go Mission!:
- We believe in one God manifested as Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Matt. 28:19, 3:16-17.
- We believe that God is eternal and self-existing. Ex. 3:14, Gen. 21:33, Isa. 40:28.
- We believe that God is the Creator of all things. Gen. 1 & 2.
- We believe that Jesus Christ was God incarnate. 1 Tim. 3:16; John 1:1-14.
- We believe that Jesus Christ had two natures: He was both human and divine. Matt. 1:21; I Tim. 2:5, I John 5:20.
- We believe that Jesus Christ was conceived of the Holy Spirit and was born of the Virgin Mary. Matt. 1:18-2:12, Luke 1:30-39.
- We believe that Jesus Christ died for the sins of the whole world. 1 Tim. 2:6, Heb. 2:9, 1 John 2:2.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ. 1 Cor. 15:3-4, Luke 24:36-43, Acts 2:24, 1 Cor. 6:14, 1 Pet. 1:21.
- We believe that Jesus Christ rose up into heaven as our High Priest. Heb. 9:24-26, 1 John 2:1, Rom. 8:34.
- We believe in the personal imminent return of Jesus Christ. 1 Cor. 15, Matt. 16:27, John 14:3, 1 Thess. 4:13-18, Rev. 22:12-20, Matt. 25:31-46.
C. Holy Spirit
- We believe that the Holy Spirit is the living, divine, third person of the Godhead.
- Acts 2:4, John 14:17, 1 Cor. 2:11.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit works in:
- enabling men to know God and to serve Him. Acts 2:3-4, John 16:12-13, 1 Cor. 2:12.
- being an agent in regeneration. John 3:6-7, Titus 3:5, and sanctification. Rom. 8:2-4.
- sealing the believers. Eph. 1:13, 4:30, 2 Cor. 1:21-22.
- being an agent in the formation of the church. Acts 2:14-41, Acts 4:4.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit dwells in regenerated man and makes of him a possession of God through faith in Jesus Christ. Rom. 8:9, Eph. 1:13-14.
- We believe that man was created in the image and likeness of God. Gen. 1:26-27, 5:1, 1 Cor. 11:7.
- We believe that the human race has fallen in the sin of Adam. Gen. 3:1-8, 1 Tim. 2:13-14, Rom. 5:12-19, 1 Cor. 15:21-22.
- We believe that man is a living soul. Gen. 2:7, 1 Thess. 5:23, Heb. 4:12.
- We believe that through a volitional act of disobedience Adam and Eve sinned against God. Gen. 2-3.
- We believe that as a result of sin:
- Mankind stand under God’s judgement. Gen. 3, 6:5-7.
- Mankind is spiritually separated from God, subject to physical death and, the domination of Satan. Gen. 3, Rom. 5:12-19, I Cor. 15:21-22, II Cor. 4:2-4.
- Mankind through relationship to Adam is born with a sinful nature (Christ excepted), thus lost in trespass and sin. Psa. 51:5, Jer. 17:9, Rom. 3:9-10, 7:14-20, Eph. 2:1-3.
- We believe in the existence of Satan as a living personal being.
- We believe Satan’s objective is rebellion against God, and the eternal destruction of mankind. Job 1:6-12, Isa. 14:12, Ezek. 28:17, John 8:44, 2 Cor. 11:13-15, Eph. 6:12-16, Rev. 20:1-3.
- We believe Satan employs demonic spiritual forces and beings to lead mankind astray. Mark 5:1-16, Eph. 6:12, 2 Cor. 2:11, 2 Cor. 11:14, 15.
- We believe that the shed blood of Jesus Christ, His resurrection and His ascension constitute the only ground of salvation.
- 1 Pet. 1:18-19, Heb. 9:22-28, Rom. 4:25, 6:4-5, 5:9-10.
- We believe that genuine faith in Jesus Christ (which includes repentance) is the only means of salvation and that it is a gift of God. Rom. 10:9, 6:23, Acts 2:21, Eph. 2:8, Acts 11:18.
- Position of Sanctification: The Scriptures teach that the moment a man believes in Christ, he is sanctified. 1 Cor. 1:2, Col. 1:2, Heb. 10:10.
- Progressive Sanctification: The Scriptures speak of a progressive sanctification of the believers which refers to all walk and continues through life. John 17:17, Gal. 5:16-23, Eph. 5:25-27, 1 John 3:1-9.
- Assurance: The Scriptures teach that the believer may have the assurance of possessing eternal life in Christ by faith (1 John 5:13) and that the believer is kept by the power of God through abiding faith.
- 1 John 3:14, 5:13, Rom. 8:16, 2 Cor. 12:9, Jude 24-25, Rom. 16:26-27, Gal. 3:11, 1 Pet. 1:5.
- The Church is the body of Jesus Christ composed of all those who have been born of the Spirit of God. John 1:13, 1 Cor. 12:12-27, Col. 1:18-24, Eph. 1:22, John 3:3-8.
- We believe that the church has been organized into local congregations. Acts 8:1, 11:22, 13:1, 20:17.
- We believe that Jesus Christ not only taught the way of life by practical example, He walked in it, and that it is God’s plan that every individual, as well as all mankind, should walk this way. Further, we believe that it is imperative for every follower of Christ to reveal the love and holiness of God through their personal as well as social life. This includes:
- We believe in the biblical teaching of non-resistance. Matt. 5:38-47, 7:12, 26:52, Acts 5:29.
- We believe in non-swearing of the oath. Matt. 5:34-37, James 5:12.
- We believe in non-conformity to the world. 2 Cor. 6:14-18, Rom. 12:1-2.
- We believe in the rapture of the saints. 1 Thess. 4:16-17, John 14:3.
- We believe in the resurrection of the dead. 1 Thess. 4:16, John 11:25-26, 1 Cor. 15:53.
- We believe in the eternal bliss of the righteous and the eternal punishment of the unrighteous. Rev. 20:11-15, 21:8, 21:22, Matt. 25:31-46, 1 Cor. 15:23-24.
- We believe in the judgment of nations. 2 Thess. 1:7-10, Matt. 25:31-46.
- We believe in the establishment of a Kingdom where Christ will rule. Acts 1:6-7, Rev. 11:15, Isa. 2:1-4.
K. The Bible
- We believe in the inspiration and infallibility of the Bible as the Word of God and that it is the only reliable standard for our faith and life. 2 Tim. 3:16, 2 Peter 1:21.
- We believe in baptism of the believer upon confession of faith in Jesus Christ, to be administered in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Mark 16:16, Matt. 28:19.
- Communion: We believe in observing the Lord’s Supper as a memorial of His broken body and His shed blood given as an atoning sacrifice of the sins of the world. Matt. 26:26-29, 1 Cor. 11:23-25.
- We believe that marriage is instituted of God and therefore a sacred bond in which both a man and a woman seek to live together in Christian harmony. Eph. 5:22-23, 1 Cor. 7:1-5, 1 Pet. 3:1-7.
- We believe that marriage should be solemnized by a minister.